Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Life as a Nerd

As a teen, I was awkward, a social outcast, and more focused on math, science, and engineering than sex, drugs, and rock&roll.

In 1972, I won the 4th grade science fair by building a Van de Graaff generator- the photo above. Few people know that it failed as the judges were about to review it. I noticed the power supply leads were loose and thinking I had unplugged the 4000 volt transformer, I tightened them with both hands. Whoops - 4000 volts surged through my body and knocked me across the room. My hair has been curly ever since.

Also in 1972, I received my first electronics breadboard set - the 65 in 1 Electronic Project Kit.

I taught myself how to use PNP and NPN transistors, how to use resistors/capacitors/inductors, and the basics of analog to digital conversion. Here's my December 25, 1972 picture- note the short sleeve shirt, buttoned at the top button, the white socks, and the black horn-rimmmed glasses. I was too young for a pocket protector - that came later.

Today, my CIO life is filled with glamor, thrills, and chills. From nerd to IT Buckaroo Bonzai. Geeks of the world unite!

No comments:

Post a Comment