Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Clothing Experiment

I'm a big fan of self-experimentation. I have an RFID implant.


This winter, I'm testing a business suit made from Gortex and Kevlar. Why not wear the same clothing to Board meetings that I'd wear on Mt. Washington?

Gortex is expensive. Arcteryx gear is expensive. However, if the suit is the modern equivalent of the Man in the White Suit - waterproof, windproof, stain proof and essentially indestructible, it may be the last suit I will ever buy.

Today, I road my bike in a Boston blizzard, below freezing, to 7 meetings in 5 locations, wearing nothing but my suit. I arrived at each meeting warm and dry.

Here are the specifics of what I wore


Arcteryx Veilance Blazer size 42 (Gortex)

Arcteryx Veilance Stealth Shirt size Medium (Kevlar)

Arcteryx Veilance Stealth Pants size 32 (Schoeller)

in rain, sleet, snow, and gale force winds, arriving at my meetings like it was a Summer day.

The purchase was an early Christmas gift from my wife and although it was quite expensive, I suspect the cost per day will be less than Brooks Brothers, given the longevity and utility of the materials. A very successful experiment thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment