Thursday, July 9, 2009

Blog Spamming

As folks who visit my blog may have noticed, I have activated Word Verification for comments. This prevents automated systems from adding comments to my blog, since it takes a human being to read the word graphic and interpret it.

I also turned on Comment Moderation for comments older than 14 days.

A few weeks ago, blog spammers posted advertisements to every one of my 400+ blog entries. I've not found a way to bulk delete comments, so I've been reviewing every previous comment and deleting the spam.

With the new settings, I can bulk reject dozens of spammed comments that are posted to my blog each day.

It's a shame that spammers believe junk comments on blogs are an effective means of advertising. I apologize for the Word Verification and the Comment Moderation, but its the only way I can keep the blog maintained.

Let's hope that blog spammers find a better use of their time in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment